New England IPA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England IPA

This seems to be the latest craze, although I have never seen or had one. I even went to Boston for training in January and went to a brewery near my hotel, and they didn't have any on tap. Sad. (I didn't have time to take a cab to Trillium, which was 2 miles away).

But, not ever having one doesn't mean I can't try to brew one. After researching what available recipes are on the internet, I brewed a 10 gallon batch of this on Sunday (March 19):

OG 1.066, 10 gallons

16 lbs. Briess Brewers Malt (2-row pale)
    8 lbs. Munton's Maris Otter (2-row pale ale)
    3.5 lbs. quick rolled oats
    2 lbs. spelt flakes
    2 lbs. Simpson's Golden Naked Oats
    1 lb. Weyermann Caravienne.

Mash-in at 148°F for 90 min. Batch sparge. Add 2 tsp CaCl, 2 tsp CaSO4. Boil for 60 min.

0.5 oz. Sorachi Ace (FWH)
    4 oz. Amarillo 5 min
    1.5 oz. Centennial 5 min
    0.75 oz. Equinox 5 min
    0.75 oz. El Dorado 5 min
    3 oz. Mosaic Steep at 180°F
    1.5 oz. Euqinox Steep at 180°F
    1.5 oz. El Dorado Steep at 180°F
    1 oz. Amarillo Steep at 180°F

Split between WY1272 American Ale II and WY1318 London Ale III. I made a couple of starters the night before, and as each smack pack was fresh (born on dates of last month), each fermentor has taken off like crazy, even at my cold basement temperature of 60°F. The aroma in the basement is fantastic - I hope the final product smells like this.

Planning on dry hopping in two additions, 5 days each, 4 oz. per keg, a mix of Mosaic, El Dorado, and Equinox, with a little Amarillo and Centennial available for makeup hops if I don't have enough. Thinking about dropping an ounce of Amarillo pellets into each primary today. while they are very active.

Would love to hear about the 1318 version. That yeast never drops but it does have a great flavor

Comment

Supposedly, cloudy beer is a hallmark of the style so 1318 is one of the go-to yeasts for this "style". I have read that some people add a handful of flour to the boil, like some wit brewers do. Not clear if any commercial breweries do that.

The 1272 is sort of the control for taste comparison, in my planning.

I did add an ounce of pellets straight into the fermentors yesterday, no hop bags. Near as I can tell, the pellet debris is all suspended in the krausen right now, which is a couple of inches thick in both of them. The fermometers are now reading 66°. compared to the ambient basement temperature of 60°.

Comment

“Not clear if any commercial breweries do that.”

Tired Hands uses flour when they brew their Milkshake IPA series of beers. They do not use flour for all of their other turbid beer brands (of which there are many).

I participated in a blind taste test of another homebrewer’s beers where he did a split batch using 1056 and 1318.

At a later date (after Chumley discusses his two beers) I will post my findings of the above blind taste test.

Cheers!

Comment

I racked these into kegs yesterday, and added the first dry hop addition to each. Both were about the same degree of cloudy. Must be all the adjuncts. The 1318 did have clumps of yeast still floating around on the krausen, as HEU noted. It is a true top cropper.

Comment

Being an East-coaster, I've had several of them, and have enjoyed them greatly. This is modeled after the Alchemist's Heady Topper. I balanced the water minerals toward chloride. No flour, but hazy nonetheless.

Bitterness: 108.5 IBUs
            Est Color: 6.8 SRM
            Measured Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
            Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
            Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.4 %
            Calories: 257.8 kcal/12oz

11 lbs Maris Otter (Gleneagles) (4.0 SRM)
            1 lbs Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM)
            1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (Muntons) (1.7 SRM)
            6.4 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)
            1 lbs Turbinado Sugar (0.0 SRM)
            0.12 oz Hop Extract [61.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min
            1.12 oz Simcoe [11.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min
            1.00 Items Servomyces Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)
            1.00 oz Cascade (2014) [8.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40.0 min
            1.00 oz Centennial (2014) [10.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40.0 min
            1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40.0 min
            0.50 oz Columbus (CTZ) [13.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40.0 min
            0.50 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40.0 min
            1.0 pkg London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) [35.49 ml]
            0.26 oz Polyclar (Primary 3.0 days)
            1.00 oz Apollo [17.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days (primary)
            1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days (primary)
            1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days(primary)
            1.25 oz Centennial (2014) [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days (keg)
            1.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days (keg)
            Last edited by robfar; 20170411, 20:09.

Comment

This beer turned out great, The 1272 version seems to have a stronger hop flavor and aroma compared to the 1318. The 1318, on the other hand, seems to be more balanced. They both look exactly the same, indicating to me that the cloudiness is from all of the hops and adjuncts, not necessarily the yeast. I do speculate that the 1318 has more yeast in suspension, which (again my speculation) leads to the more muted hop character. The 1272 version I took to a mining conference, where a couple of people told me it was the best IPA they ever had. I will continue to play around with this substyle.

Comment

One thing I can add to this, now four weeks later: when this beer starts to fade, it fades fast. The 1272 keg was kicked at a party a couple of weeks ago, and the 1318 is down to a couple of pints left. The hop flavor and aroma has really faded from this beer, much more so than a west coast IPA with the high IBU bittering additions. Note to self: if brewed again, only brew 5 gallons of New England IPA.

Comment

I've got one on tap using the NEIPA yeast and it was "ok." The yeast has since dropped and the beer is bright. It tastes much better... your guess is as good as mine...

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try next time.

Comment

Working...
                    X