Wort chilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loopie_beer View Post
    That would certainly knock down my temps in no time! One issue is that I have to try to keep things standard as we scale these up for our commercial brewery.

Mnay homebrewers in the southern, warmer states use pre-chillers as their tap water is often 80°+ out of the tap. I always suggest they hit it with straight tap water then pre-chill once they reach 100° or so. This will save tons of ice/$$.
    I think your 100 F, could be about right. As I said, I plotted the cooling curve. Since it's all conduction, convection, the efficiency of the curve will be a little different dependent on how you do things, but the shape is the same. On my gear between about 40-50C (100-115F) is when the curve starts flattening out from the sky dive from the beginning. If your shoveling free snow it doesn't matter but if you are paying for ice it would.

Comment

Our dual stage chiller at the brewery essentially does this, but is really dependent on the water source temps. Our city water comes from a reservoir so currently the water is about 40°F. Right now we actually have to cut back on chilling water for our ales. However, it is a double edge sword in the summer when the water will be 75°F.

I too see temps really stall out at around 100°F -110°F. Before my glycol controlled fermenter, in the summer I would drop temps to 100° then blast it with recirculating ice water to bring temps down. Now I can chill to 70° and finish chilling in the fermenter.

Comment

2019 now, and my wintertime brewing now has evolved into forget wort chilling. The over night cool down works fine in my Montana climate. Stop the kettle at around 6 or 7 p.m., and the next morning the wort is in the low 60s. Haven't observed any off flavors to date.

Comment

Chumley it doesn’t surprise me that there are no off flavors from this method. As mentioned, many Aussies have been doing no chill brewing for decades.
          Do you experience any increased bitterness or are you pulling the hops and allowing it to cool?

Comment

Glad I read this post, as I contemplate winter brewing. We have cold in spades this year, got down to minus 33 the other day. I'll try this with a stout at around 35 ambient (my garage) and see how it goes.

Comment

Loopie wrote: "I too see temps really stall out at around 100°F -110°F."

It seems I've been preaching to the choir (i.e. telling you stuff you already knew). I had just never followed temps so rigorously before. If you do decide to split your cooling water and run your immersion and counterflow in series, I'd still love to get ahold of that number. It would add to my list, and could be important info to pass on to others.

On the overnight cooling thing, one thing I do, just as I kill the heat and pull the polystyrene insulation off the boiler, is cool to about 75-80C either with the counterflow, or by simply dumping in cold water, before leaving it overnight. I "think" that this may facilitate the cold break, and may help put the breaks on any further alpha extraction. I've never tested this side-by-side, and may be just another one of those things I "believe" without really knowing... but it isn't any trouble, and doesn't cause any problems.

Comment

After having tried a number of excellent no chill beers in Australia, that's where my experimentation is heading. You do have to take late jhopping into account like that, but based on what I tasted that's easy to do. And this is not winter time no chill...these guys do it in 100F weather, too.

Comment

Loopie posted: "Do you experience any increased bitterness or are you pulling the hops and allowing it to cool?"

I haven't noticed any increased bitterness, but I I haven't been brewing much in the way of hoppy styles.

Comment

OK, I'm late to the game (really late), and this is totally not necessary...but the movie line quoted is actually from Blazing Saddles. The line from Treasure of the Sierra Madre is, "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I DON'T HAVE TO SHOW YOU ANY STINKING BADGES!"
                    Last edited by Tex Brewer; 20190223, 15:15.

Comment

Ever since the "drought" Cali has been in within the last 10 years or so and the fact that I get "penalized" if I use water over a certain amount, I just toss the lid on my boil kettle after knockoff and let it chill on it's own over night. Been doing that for ~ 10 years now and haven't tasted a difference in any of my brews or have any of my friends so, as long as things are covered/protected and you can get the wort temp down to pitching temps within 12 or so hours, I'd say that you are good to go.
                      Ask not what your country can brew for you but, what you can brew for your country!

Comment

Just to add another little bit on the "paint stirrer cooling" thing. Greg asked previously if the vortex created pulled in oxygen, to which I replied that I didn't really know.... but what I do know, is at over 85C, you have a pretty hard time getting oxygen to dissolve in wort no matter what you do.

But HERE is today's bonus. I did a brew on my little "toy" brewery today, which normally ends with me pulling off about 20 liters of wort into a 50 liter capacity fermenter, and shaking the bejeezus out of it.

I thought: "Hey, I know I create a tiny vortex when the stirring arms are at the bottom, and I know how I could create a HUGE vortex."

So.... once I hit my target cooling temperature and turned the drill and the flow off, I started racking to the fermenter, and then restarted the drill, and then lifted it up towards the surface. It created a HUGE vortex, and soon looked like I was whipping up meringue!

Oxygenated and done, without the slightest strain on my back, and it hit the fermenter ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                        X