No announcement yet.

Yakima Chief Cryo hops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa whoa whoa. Denny is working on a mild recipe? Is it going to be a 1.060 mild recipe?

I'd been wondering about the cryo hops so this discussion has been quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by VB_brewer View Post
      Whoa whoa whoa. Denny is working on a mild recipe? Is it going to be a 1.060 mild recipe?

I'd been wondering about the cryo hops so this discussion has been quite interesting.
      Yep, been working on it on and off for a couple years. All American mild. Now that I have access to Mecca Grade Malt and debittered leaf cryo hops, it seems a lot more doable.

Comment

Bottled my imperial red yesterday, can't say the aroma was obviously stronger than 1 oz. regular dry hops, but this was a big young beer so still a lot of yeast aromas too. May change as it bottle conditions, we'll see.

One advantage to these cryo hops is improving yield by reducing hops absorption losses, not a big factor for me. But I'm wondering, does twice the AA% also mean twice the dry hop aroma? Or just twice the bitterness? I'm not sure at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Brewer View Post
          Bottled my imperial red yesterday, can't say the aroma was obviously stronger than 1 oz. regular dry hops, but this was a big young beer so still a lot of yeast aromas too. May change as it bottle conditions, we'll see.

One advantage to these cryo hops is improving yield by reducing hops absorption losses, not a big factor for me. But I'm wondering, does twice the AA% also mean twice the dry hop aroma? Or just twice the bitterness? I'm not sure at this point.
          No, there is no relation between AA and aroma. Dry hopping will add bitterness, but that's a different factor. But cryo hops do have a higher oil/vegetation ratio than whole or T-90 hops, so you kinda get more out of them.

We're about to start a test with our IGORs where they split a batch of wort and use cryo in one half and T-90 in the other. Then there will be sensory evaluations.

Comment

After another week in the bottle the yeast aromas have subsided and the hops aroma really shines through, seems a lot stronger than I would have expected from just one ounce of dry hops. Carbonation helps release more aroma too, so I'm very pleased with the results.

I will probably try them again. I think Denny's results will be interesting for sensory impact of these hops in the kettle.

Comment

Just saw this old thread. I recently used Cascade Cryo Hops as part of the dry hops in a San Diego IPA. Holy cow. Talk about hop forward. Aroma is killer. Flavor as well, but I added a good bit of late addition hops. But I think the cryo hops extract flavor into the beer in addition to aroma - no data to prove this, just my hunch. I'll be using them again for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex Brewer View Post
                Just saw this old thread. I recently used Cascade Cryo Hops as part of the dry hops in a San Diego IPA. Holy cow. Talk about hop forward. Aroma is killer. Flavor as well, but I added a good bit of late addition hops. But I think the cryo hops extract flavor into the beer in addition to aroma - no data to prove this, just my hunch. I'll be using them again for sure.
                I agree that cryo hops do add flavor as dry hops. But I think any type of dry hops do that. I think the cryo has a more pronounced effect because it's 100% lupulin without the vegetation. For another unique hop experience, try the "American Nobles". That the debittered leaf material separated from the lupulin. I've been using them in my American mild formulation.

Comment

Working...
                X