Blood Orange Pale Ale/IPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Orange Pale Ale/IPA

I'm looking for a blood orange APA or IPA recipe. I plan on using blood orange puree (comes in 49-oz can). How much should be used for 6 gal? When should it be added?

I think 49oz (3lbs 1oz) is a great starting point. I would add it to secondary. Taste it once it’s fermented out and then see if you need more.

Comment

I guess once it's done fermenting, I could add more and let it go for another round.

ProMash says 1.047 OG from the grains (6.5 gal). I plan on 6 gal going into the fermenter. How can I calculate the addition to ABV with the puree? Here are the specs:

Blood Orange Puree by Vintner's Harvest - 49oz

Add some serious citrus to your next batch with this blood orange puree. Containing no preservatives and no additives, this puree is comprised of both blood orange juice and pulp. Add this puree during fermentation of your next wine or beer for a strong, rich orange flavor.

Specifications:

-Specific Gravity: 1.020 - 1.060

-Brix: 8.0º - 12.0º

-pH: 3.0 - 3.4

-Viscosity: >24 cm/1 min (Bostwick Viscosity)

Comment

Clearly those numbers are ‘generic’ numbers as that is a big difference in SG and °Brix.

Rather than getting into the formula, I’ll post this which includes further discussion:
        https://www.themadfermentationist.co...s-alcohol.html

Comment

Good article, Loopie. Bottom line is it probably makes little difference to the OG since you are adding both sugar and water. The brew (without puree) turned out to be 1.044, which is 11 Bx. That's in the middle of the range in their specs, so I think we can safely say it won't make much difference.

Comment

Just googling around, it looks like 10% seems a reasonable "middle" value for fermentables in oranges of both navel and blood types. They are fructose, glucose, and sucrose (which is just both of the first two glued together). If you treat your pulp as if it was a 10% solution of priming table sugar (sucrose), you should end up at the same place.

Comment

Oh yeh. Tex. The vitamin C content in your pulp may actually serve as an anti-oxidant, and help keep the beer fresher longer.... but I have absolutely NO personal experience on that.... I think beer taste just fine without dumping fruit into it. Silly me.

Comment

Working...
              X