Munich Based Stout Recipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munich Based Stout Recipe?

I plan to brew a stout for an upcoming office party. It will be served with CO2, no nitro available. I'm thinking somewhere 1.050-1.065-ish, full malt flavor, more chocolate than roast. Since I still have a large quantity of Weyermann Munich I on hand, I am considering using this for the base. Has anyone done something similar?

I may pattern it off of HEU Brewer's oatmeal stout recipe, since that looked pretty good to me.

What do you think?

Yes everyone has a recipe for one but since no one has posted. This one continues to get rave reviews For 5 gal O.G. 1.052 Est IBU’s. 28 7 lbs Crisp

This is an interesting idea. I don’t think you could substitute 100% with Munich as the grain bill will obviously contain speciality malts that would lead to an over malty stout. Of course, you could adjust the chocolate or roast malts.

Comment

So I mostly chickened out, only going with about 20% Munich malt:

1.065 OG

6# 2 row
      2# Munich
      2# rolled oats
      0.5# chateau chocolate malt
      0.5# C-60
      6 ounces black patent (didn't have any debittered black malt)
      2 ounces roasted barley

30 grams Willamette 5.8% at 60
      1 ounce EKG 5.1% pellets at 15

Wyeast 1968

the EKG smelled kind of off when added to the boil kettle... Whereas the Willamette smelled like normal hops when added, citrusy, etc. Maybe I'm just used to American C hops, hardly ever use British hops.

Comment

Recipe looks interesting. When you say “off” what do you mean? How or what did they smell like?

Comment

Mike. Just a bit of advice on hops. They really reflect the soil type they are grown in "more" than the actual variety. For example a New Zealand grown Saaz, is a very nice hop.... but bares very little relationship to that same variety grown in Bohemia.
          On a positive note, I was at a microbrewery in the states, where I tasted a very pleasant stout. Not only was it nicely balanced, but there was none of that "grapefruit" overpowering of American grown hops that seems to dominate the craft brewing scene there (and has indeed infected a lot of that fledgling industry around the world).
          The flavour was really reminiscent of a true East Kent Goldings, so I asked the brewmaster what his choice in hops was for that beer. It was indeed Goldings.... grown in Washington!
          From that single taste, I believe that there are some American grown Goldings, that retain their original character. Might be cheaper and fresher as well.

Comment

• denny
            denny commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely, terroir plays a huge role in hop character. Her in the PNW, Chinook is piney with a bit of grapefruit and dankness. I git some grown in MI and they had a pineapple character. When growers in NZ started planting Cascade rhizomes from the US, the result was so different they had to change the name so people wouldn't be expecting "normal" Cascade.

Oh. One other thing. If you want to emulate the nitro head, get a 20 ml syringe. Take a glass of your stout about 3/4 full. Draw up the syringe half full of beer. Lift it out of the beer and suck up air in the rest. Put it back into solution and squeeze that stuff out as fast as you can.
          Then stand back and watch the fun! "Air" is 4/5ths nitrogen, and it is just as reticent to stay in solution from that source as a nitro bottle. You can watch that creamy head dance up and fill the top with the tiny bubble cream like head that one is used to in a stout.

It's a fun "party trick", and this was after all brewed for a party was it not?

Comment

Loopy, it's hard to describe how they smelled... Not at all citrusy or bright smelling.....maybe earthy. I guess I've only used EKGs about a half dozen times over 20 years, maybe I'm just not familiar enough, but it seems like I recall some fruit or something more pleasant last time.

The recipe is probably more toward the sweet Stout or Porter side. I didn't want the roast character overdone, especially since I'm only a month out from serving.

Thanks Doc for the syringe trick description, sounds like fun to try.

Comment

I see. I usually get earthy out of EKG so that sounds normal. I’m glad you didn’t say ‘cheesy’ or ‘sweaty.’

Comment

English hops that smell like dirt?!? Say it isn't so!

EKGs and Willamettes are great choices for stouts and porters. Another favorite of mine for these dark styles is good old Cluster. Northern Brewer works pretty good too.

Comment

Chumley, I'm hoping they aren't beyond the typical dirt flavor profile. Time will tell,

If Skot were chiming in here he'd probably add bullion to your list.

Comment

Working...
                  X